[kde-linux] KWrite/printer problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 8 11:01:37 UTC 2009

On Thursday 08 October 2009 10:27:23 david wrote:
> Bruce Miller wrote:
> > Conclusions: 1. The lateness of the hour here in eastern Canada (and
> > the length of my day) did not allow me to test Konqueror in a plain
> > vanilla form, that is, without changing any of its default margins.
> > However, after a change to the margins, documents printed without
> > text being lost at the page breaks. This was the problem that has
> > driven me crazy for the last two years and which led another user to
> > start this thread. 2. The problem rendering the table (point 7 above)
> > suggests that the KDE print engine still needs considerable work. 3.
> > The lack of a function for printing only a part of, rather than an
> > entire, document is an important hole in KDE's overall functionality
> > 4. It is my personal judgement --- others will obviously have
> > different perspectives --- that the persistent problems with printing
> > in KDE4 are the most important outstanding regression in end-user
> > usefulness from KDE3.5 to KDE4. kprinter used to be a gem of KDE. I
> > have read that it was becoming beastly to maintain, but it remains a
> > shame to have lost it. I need to put on an asbestos suit to say this,
> > but in my view, the best currently available printer control software
> > that I know of is FinePrint and it is (gasp!) commercial software for
> > Windows.
>
> I remember FinePrint. It has a long pedigree in the world of printer
> software!
>
> I use TurboPrint - also commercial software, but available for both
> Linux and Windows (I think) - for my Canon inkjet because it does a far
> better job printing photos than the non-commercial Linux drivers do.

This has been said so often, for years.  Is it really still a problem,
printing from Canon inkjets?

Sometimes you just have to go for a commercial solution.  I bought VuScan,
because I got much better results when scanning with my Canon File Scanner
than xsane could give me.  I use FOSS when I can, but am pragmatic when it's
simply not feasible.

> Conclusion: Bruce's mail software doesn't send paragraphs wrapped
> properly. ;-)

Really?  It looks fine here.