[kde-linux] Desktop widget like Windows Vista sidebar/clock thing?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 7 19:38:30 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 07 October 2009 19:45:58 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> > Maybe this is a version difference?  I'm running 4.3.1.
>
> Thanks for trying. Does not work in 4.3.0 on OpenSuSE. I upgraded to 4.3.1
> (release 163) through "Factory" - still does not work. However I don't
>  know  exactly what was upgraded and which libraries are used. Maybe 11.2
>  is more up-to-date. What distro are you running?

I'm running Fedora - but I run the KDE-Fedora updates-testing and unstable
repos, so I'm usually about as up to date as anyone.

> > > My problem is simply that I don't get a choice (if you don't have the
> > >  notifier and won't use the dolphin panel you can't mount/unmount
> > >  anything!). Why doesn't the notifier have an option to say "don't pop
> > > up"? If I respect those who like it, they can respect that I don't.
> >
> > SystemSettings > System Notifications > System Notifications >
> > Applications tab.  Uncheck 'Show a message in a popup'.  That wasn't
> > hard, was it?
>
> Actually it is much harder: I have no "System Notifications" in "System
> settings".

My fault.  I copied 'System Notifications' from the window header - it is
actually Notifications.

> I do have a "Notifications", with "System notifications" and
> an "Applications" tab, but the device notifier is not listed as an
> application, so I can't uncheck anything...

Again, my fault.  I was moving backwards and forward between jobs, and
introduced some confusion here.  That page allows you to control what you see
in the 'i' notifier panel.  That can get to be very verbose, and it's helpful
to be a bit selective in switching off the applications that are not as
important to you.

Device notifier - I'm not aware that you can disable it.  However, someone
(Edgar?) said that it wouldn't go away.  Clicking on the icon on the panel
sends it away.  OK, not as good as a configuration option, but it gets rid of
a possible annoyance.

> Maybe this is OpenSuSE's implementation, or lack of...
>
> > There are no plans to drop konqueror, although its development for file
> > managing has stopped.  Meanwhile, you would not have set a profile in
> > konqueror unless you frequently wanted to use that directory, so drag
> > that directory folder onto Places, and a single click will take you
> > there.  OK, that's one more click than you would have done in the past,
> > but surely that's not the end of the world?
>
> But then I have to use Places.... No it's not the end of the world, it'
>  just  annoying.

Many of the things that niggled me at first have proved to be actually much
more productive once I got the hang of them.  This is one of those things.
There are a few directories (including nfs ones) that I frequently want to
move files to.  I don't like keeping important files on a laptop.  Being able
to quickly access them in a split dolphin immensely speeds up working.  I
thought konqueror was good, but I had to open tree branches to select
directories.  You can still do it that way in dolphin if you like it, but I do
find having my most-used directories in Places is much faster.

> > So far you've shown us little that is impossible.
>
> So far I don't agree
>
> Hmm, let's look at this: you had a car working very well. Someone takes it
> away and replaces it with a new one, that only partly works as you where
>  used  to. You feel you should thank him for working hard to improve the
>  new car or unhappy because he removed the old one?

They did not take away your car.  They produced a newer model.  If you choose
to stick with the old one, good luck to you.  It can be done.

Metaphors aside, they do not have to work at all for your benefit.  You paid
nothing to use their work.  Yes, you should be thankful.

> > > On a less important level, it would be nice to be again able to have
> > >  different backgrouds on different workspaces, it made easier to know
> > > where you are
> >
> > I see that Duncan has tackled that one.
>
> Well, yes, that's really not obvious, but it does work.
>
> > For the last time, it misses a few, but not many of the features of KDE
> > 3, and every release brings yet more in.  Frankly, you have no right to
> > be angry about how someone else uses their time, and you should be
> > thankful that they give it freely.
>
> We won't agree on that one. Unfortunately, the ones I require happen to be
>  the  few that it misses (at least up to the version I'm able to run - it
>  seems that if I wait a little this will be cured).

Such as what?

>  I do run a KDE 3
>  distro, but how could I count on it retaining for long a non-supported
>  desktop?

As I said, there are distros that plan on supporting it for some time.  But
you will have to accept that no-one wants to work on KDE 3, so unless you do
the work yourself, nothing new is going to come of it.

> > Considering that thousands of people find it perfectly adequate, perhaps
> > you should open your mind and see where things are not so much missing as
> > done differently to get the same or similar result.
>
> This is really the type of argument I hate. I don't see why I should play
>  the  lemming. I was able to do things the way I like, and now I am
>  required to do them a way I don't like and get no advantage when doing it,
>  so however I open my mind I see  that I miss something and win nothing to
>  compensate.

I'm so sick of saying this.  No-one is forcing you to do anything.  There are
KDE 3 distros.  If that's what you want, go use one.

> You asked me to state what I want. OK, I did it. Can you tell me what,
>  from  your point of vue, the KDE 4 desktop does that the KDE 3 desktop did
>  not? Why are we required to change, what do we gain by that change?
>
> I expect from a desktop that it lets me open my applications, mount and
> unmount my partitions and shares, organise, copy and open my files, give me
>  a  little information (on the current time for example) and let me
>  shutdown easily. I see no improvement in KDE 4 over KDE 3 in all these
>  aspects.

Of course you don't - you won't use it.  I do all those things and do them
faster than I did on KDE 3.

Just accept it.  There are enough people that agree with me.  That doesn't
mean that you have to use it, Just stop bad-mouthing it, without coming up
with any single thing that can't be done or worked around.