[kde-linux] KWrite/printer problem

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Oct 7 07:17:38 UTC 2009

jim posted on Tue, 06 Oct 2009 13:47:09 -0700 as excerpted:

> This is a MAJOR problem, I dont understand why more people arnt
> complaining. Does nobody care that they are loosing the last 2 lines of
> every document they print? Or haven't they noticed it?

FWIW, it's likely that a lot of folks simply don't have printers, these
days.

I got rid of my ink jet because it wasn't cost effective buying a $30 ink
cartridge to print a few pages every six months or so... then the ink
dries out and either have to hassle trying to get it to work and getting
everything all inky cleaning it, with only perhaps a 50% success rate
anyway, or simply give up and put a new cartridge in before I even hassle
it.

I've been going to get a laser printer some day, but it just never seems
to happen.  I always have other stuff I need more.  And I don't print
that often anyway, and if I do need to print something, I can always
thumb-drive it and take it down to kinko's or something if I really need
it printed.  Yeah, they might charge a decent amount for it, but it's
certainly not more expensive than a new $30 cartridge every half-dozen
pages or whatever.

But mainly, once it's in electronic form, I just keep it in electronic
form until I'm done with it, then delete it.  So I don't have the printer
problems because I don't have a printer.

It's also likely that enough people that /do/ need it working simply try
it and it works well enough after they adjust margins or whatever.

*OR* it's simply one of the many ways KDE4 is still buggy (and I know
enough about that from experience, even without the printing issues), and
they go running back to kde3 or gnome or xfce or whatever, until such
time as kde gets enough bugs worked out to be reasonably usable for real
people that want to get real work done, and aren't interested in running
beta software or whatever, whether it's called that or not.

Think about it.  It'd only be the relatively few for which all the
following is true: (1) kde4 is working well enough for them to be worth
hassling with at all. (2) They're the type of people that even bother to
do bug reports.  (3)  They do some printing, but (4) not so MUCH printing
that the bug is so serious as to trigger a negative on #1.  (There's
probably more...).

So it's not going to hit everyone, and of the ones it does hit,
relatively few of them are going to bother finding a bug and commenting
on it.  Many simply aren't the type, and either it's not a big enough
issue for them to worry about, or it's one of several issues that
together are enough to cause them to dump kde4, hopefully to try it
sometime later after it's more stable, but possibly never to try it again.