[kde-linux] Debugging kio slaves

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Oct 5 23:09:39 UTC 2009

Dag Nygren posted on Mon, 05 Oct 2009 22:18:25 +0300 as excerpted:

> Updated my Mandriva 2009.1 KDE 4.2.x to the 4.3.1 in kde.org and am
> seeing problems with my ftp:// access not working. As I quite seldom
> visit ftp sites this problem might even be from the last update from
> Mandriva 2009.0 to 2009.1 (KDE3 -> KDE4).
>
> Keeps telling me that "The program that gives you access to the protocol
> ftp://aaa.xxx.ccc died unexpectedly"
>
> As this works fine downstairs in my self compiled environment I am sure
> it is a configuration or "double library" problem. But my problem is
> finding out where things go wrong as kio_ftp is not called directly and
> it seems to very hard to intercept what is going on.
>
> My questions are:
> - Has anyone seem and solved a similar problem? - Any hints on how to
> attack the problem.

Are you using a proxy -- any proxy, ftp or not?  If so, there's a bug in
4.3.1 (at least, don't know if it's in 4.3.2 or 4.3.0 or earlier).  I
don't have time to look up the bug number ATM, but basically, the error
says something about smb:// on one line instead of ftp://.  If you see
that and run a proxy (mine was an http-only proxy, not set for ftp at
all), it is indeed a kioslave issue, with a workaround of editing the
config file, $KDEDIR/share/config/kioslaverc or some such (going on
memory, and $KDEDIR will be ~/.kde or ~/.kde4 or some such depending on
distribution and local settings), commenting out or deleting the invalid
port-only (no IP address only port) ftp proxy settings there.