[kde-linux] Debugging kio slaves

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Wed Oct 7 13:30:25 UTC 2009

> Dag Nygren posted on Mon, 05 Oct 2009 22:18:25 +0300 as excerpted:
> > Updated my Mandriva 2009.1 KDE 4.2.x to the 4.3.1 in kde.org and am
> > seeing problems with my ftp:// access not working. As I quite seldom
> > visit ftp sites this problem might even be from the last update from
> > Mandriva 2009.0 to 2009.1 (KDE3 -> KDE4).
> >
> > Keeps telling me that "The program that gives you access to the protocol
> > ftp://aaa.xxx.ccc died unexpectedly"
> >
> > As this works fine downstairs in my self compiled environment I am sure
> > it is a configuration or "double library" problem. But my problem is
> > finding out where things go wrong as kio_ftp is not called directly and
> > it seems to very hard to intercept what is going on.
> >
> > My questions are:
> > - Has anyone seem and solved a similar problem? - Any hints on how to
> > attack the problem.
>
> Are you using a proxy -- any proxy, ftp or not?  If so, there's a bug in
> 4.3.1 (at least, don't know if it's in 4.3.2 or 4.3.0 or earlier).  I
> don't have time to look up the bug number ATM, but basically, the error
> says something about smb:// on one line instead of ftp://.  If you see
> that and run a proxy (mine was an http-only proxy, not set for ftp at
> all), it is indeed a kioslave issue, with a workaround of editing the
> config file, $KDEDIR/share/config/kioslaverc or some such (going on
> memory, and $KDEDIR will be ~/.kde or ~/.kde4 or some such depending on
> distribution and local settings), commenting out or deleting the invalid
> port-only (no IP address only port) ftp proxy settings there.

Thanks Duncan for this info.

I found the bug report you are referring to, but that was not my problem. The
real problem seems to be that ftp over a proxy is broken in the current KDE4
:-(
There are several bug reports on this and quite old ones too.

The reason everything worked "downstairs" was that that is the only machine
that is directly connected to the net, all others are proxied through that
one.

Best (and thanks)
Dag