[kde-linux] Disable PackageManager

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 3 12:18:12 UTC 2009

jim wrote:
> Running Fedora 10, KDE 4.1.2
> Is there a 'proper' way to disable Package manager from automatically running
> yumBackend.py (/usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py)
> soon after logging in? On my dial-up system this takes a long time and the
> system is unusable for other web work until it finishes.
>
> Under Settings->SoftwareUpdates I have set all the UpdatePreferences to
> 'never' and unchecked all Display Notification boxes.
> But it still runs. So as a ugly hack I changed the name of yumBackend.py.
>
> This works, however I can no longer use PackageManager to install downloaded
> packages.

Are you using KPackage?  I ask because I don't find "Software Updates"
in the "Settings" menu.  I note that I do not have YUM installed.
Perhaps this is a YUM or Fedora issue.

> Also, Is there a way I can update to KDE 4.3 other than downloading?
> I only have a 56k modem and noisy land line so any downloads lasting
> more than a hour usually fail.

Download the packages individually, or use KGet and set automatic
retires to 99.  If it doesn't auto retry, then open the KGet window
select the file from the list click Start/Resume manually.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch