[kde-linux] Disable PackageManager

jim jimtrish at att.net
Thu Oct 1 16:05:47 UTC 2009

Running Fedora 10, KDE 4.1.2
Is there a 'proper' way to disable Package manager from automatically running
yumBackend.py (/usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py)
soon after logging in? On my dial-up system this takes a long time and the
system is unusable for other web work until it finishes.

Under Settings->SoftwareUpdates I have set all the UpdatePreferences to
'never' and unchecked all Display Notification boxes.
But it still runs. So as a ugly hack I changed the name of yumBackend.py.

This works, however I can no longer use PackageManager to install downloaded
packages.

Also, Is there a way I can update to KDE 4.3 other than downloading?
I only have a 56k modem and noisy land line so any downloads lasting
more than a hour usually fail.

Thanks,
Regards,
Jim Phelps