[kde-linux] Am I Alone?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Oct 1 09:17:28 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson posted on Thu, 01 Oct 2009 07:54:26 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Thursday 01 October 2009 00:53:37 James Tyrer wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> > I've seen no such problem, so I can't comment.
>>
>> Then go to:
>>
>> http://capitalone.com/
>>

> I did.  In konqueror.  It said that Capital One uses an invalid
> certificate and cannot be trusted.  It then asked if I wanted to
> continue.  I said 'yes' and it entered the site.

Hmm, interesting.

The URL as given is a simple http: URL -- not encrypted (that would be
https not just http).  Simply clicking the link sends me to the site, not
encrypted, no certificate because it's not encrypted, no problem.

If I then click around to find a login, I arrive at a secured (that is,
https:) login page at https://servicing.capitalone.com/c1/login.aspx .
That page returns a valid (by konqueror's report) certificate, registered
to exactly that host, servicing.capitalone.com .

If however I change the original link to https, as so:

https://capitalone.com

THEN I get a prompt for invalid certificate.  Clicking details (which
actually work this time), I can see why -- the certificate is issued to
www.capitalone.com , while the site is actually simply capitalone.com (no
www).  As konqueror's SSL info dialog says, "The certificate does not
apply to the given host."  There are other issues with it as well, having
to do with the fact that the authority's (Verisign's) certificate is said
to be invalid, there's no certificate chain.

So there's no real problem here, except perhaps that ,onqueror doesn't
have a valid certificate chain.  But since the cert doesn't apply to the
host that's using it in this case (it's not a wildcard cert for the
entire capitalone.com domain, but specifically for the www host, and the
server I'm connecting to is NOT the www host), it's an invalid use of the
certificate in any case, the details button works as it should, and I can
see exactly why it's invalid, and make my decision accordingly.
Everything is working as I'd expect it to on such a certificate, IOW.

What had me worried about the behavior previously, unlike here, is that
on an initial attempt to connect to whereever it was (IDR where, other
than it wasn't /that/ critical, not banking, etc, I think a bugzilla
somewhere), konqueror would initially warn that the certificate was
invalid, but would NOT return the details if I clicked the button to
actually see the certificate details.  The warning dialog would
disappear, and the details dialog would never come up.

OK, sort of.  But the REALLY worrying bit about it was that a second
attempt to connect would go thru, no warning about an invalid certificate
at all.  Since this WAS just a bugzilla or whatever, I wasn't too worried
about it the first time.  I wasn't logging in or anything anyway.  I just
looked up the bug I was looking up, and continued on my way.  However, it
was the second time it did it, an hour or two later, that triggered the
realization that it was dieing on the details of an invalid cert, AND THE
SECOND ATTEMPT WAS GOING THRU WITHOUT A WARNING AT ALL!!

It's that second attempt going thru as if everything was fine that had me
worried.  But since I already knew about the bug with https and
certificate handling, and because I've voted on it, I'd get mail if there
were any changes in the bug and I've not gotten any so I knew it was
still open, I didn't worry about it further, just used it as an example
to make my point about kde4 not (yet) being ready for ordinary users to
use doing all their ordinary stuff, including online banking.