[kde-linux] Konsole: input to one session

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Nov 19 18:19:46 UTC 2009

On Thursday, 2009-11-19, borasah at gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday 19 November 2009 13:52, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > I would like to send an input to just one konsole session targeted by
> > >  another application. As far as I see, there isnt any settings,
> > > arguments etc. we can give to konsole. I am using Konsole 1.6.6 / KDE
> > > 3.5.10 (Debian Lenny). Is it possible to do it? Can you give some
> > > information?
> >
> > I think if you run konsole with the --script option you'll get additional
> > DCOP functions which allow you to send input into any konsole session of
> > that konsole process.
>
> Thanks for the quick answer. What I would like to do is send a command,
>  start qemu, from Vim to neighbouring konsole session so I can watch it if
>  necessary. I started konsole with the --script option, and on the surface
>  it is not different than an ordinary Konsole session. I guess I have to
>  write an application. I am really novice about KDE development. I have
>  never done any programming in KDE before. So considering this fact, can
>  you give more information please?

Run the "dcop" tool in the shell you want to execute the commands from.

It will list all programs accessible via DCOP, including all konsole
processes.
Since I am on KDE4 I can test this myself, but in case konsole --script
printed something to the shell, that would be the DCOP reference of either
that konsole instance or maybe even the specific session.

See [1] for examples how DCOP works.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Desktop_scripting_with_DCOP