[kde-linux] Konsole: input to one session

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Nov 19 20:35:00 UTC 2009

borasah posted on Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:53:05 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Thursday 19 November 2009 13:52, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>> > I would like to send an input to just one konsole session targeted by
>> > another application. As far as I see, there isnt any settings,
>> > arguments etc. we can give to konsole. I am using Konsole 1.6.6 /
>> > KDE 3.5.10 (Debian Lenny). Is it possible to do it? Can you give
>> > some information?
>>
>> I think if you run konsole with the --script option you'll get
>> additional DCOP functions which allow you to send input into any
>> konsole session of that konsole process.
>
> Thanks for the quick answer. What I would like to do is send a command,
> start qemu, from Vim to neighbouring konsole session so I can watch it
> if necessary.

Like Kevin I'm on kde4 now, and I've only actually done this in kde4, but
kde3 had similar options in this regard so it's worth exploring as an
alternative, tho I'm not sure if it does what you need to do or not.  But
anyway...

Try setting up a different konsole profile.  If you run konsole --help,
(from a konsole), it should give you the necessary information to start
that profile.  What I did with that is setup kwin to handle that konsole
window differently than the normal console windows, and I'm not sure
whether it exposes enough alternate control to do what you want, but
between what Kevin's suggesting using dcop and this, there's quite a
decent chance you can get it working, one way, the other, or a
combination of both.