[kde-linux] 11.1 & KDE3 Konqueror Startup URL?

Frank K frankk at oregoncoast.com
Wed Nov 18 05:44:00 UTC 2009

Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> On Monday 16 November 2009 07:37:56 pm Frank K wrote:
>
>> Kevin Krammer wrote:

> own. My own

> found that

>>> Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> General
>>>
>>> Top section of the page on the right hand side, a drop down menu
>>>
> with choices
>
>>> like Konqueror's internal start page, empty page, etc.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Kevin

> linux.
>
>>> Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.
>>> More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
>>>
>> Thank you Kevin & Bruce,
>> Bruce, sorry about the HTML Post. No promises on the format, but this
>> time KDE is specified as text only in the address book.
>> I was expecting to post this reply under my registered address, but
>> messages were deleted from my ISP's server.
>> Kevin, I'm sure your instructions are right on, but I have to start
>>
> from
>
>> one step further back. I can't find the "General" menu!
>> In my Konqueror Web profile, Settings start with Behavior. My home URL
>> is my blank page. If I press the house on the Konq toolbar I get the
>> home URL. My problem is to set the startup URL to be the home URL.
>> With my openSuse 11.1 I'm up to kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1. My desktop is
>>
> KDE
>
>> 3.5.10.
>> I can live without fixing this behavior, but it wrankles me each time
>>
> it
>
>> happens.
>> Frank K

> Hello, Frank --
>
> Thank you for making that change -- your message arrived in "plain text"
> --- so everything is working properly in this respect.
>
> Kevin assumed or implied that you begin by opening Konqeror, and by
> giving it the "focus".  From that point, the directions are correct
> exactly as he specified it -- but you seem to need one small refinement.
>
> When you go to "Configure Konqeror" and actually click on it, you will
> see a display that has two "frames".  The left-hand frame consists of an
> expandable list of configuration options.  As a solid general rule, the
> very first category is "General".  You do not need to "expand" that
> category to make the necessary change, but you might feel better about
> doing so.  With or without the "category expansion", the top line should
> still read "General", AND should have "the focus"
>
> If it isn't there, scroll up until it IS there.
>
> If it does not have"the focus" (usually indicated by a blue-colored
> highlighter-bar), then single-left-click on it.
>
> At this point, you should see the address-bar selection tool that Kevin
> mentioned; as Kevin stated, it is near the top of the right-hand
> "frame".
>
> You may select any existing option -- or you may specify any address
> (whether local to your own machine, on any of the intra-nets you may be
> connected-to, or on any Internet location of your preference).  I hope
> [...]
Bruce, Kevin, I'm still looking for the Konq "General" configuration.
This will likely all seem silly once I find the magic. For the record,
my Konq version is: 3.5.10 Release 21.9. I use mouse focus and auto
raise, so I don't think the menu focus is the problem.

I grabbed a JPG image of Konq with the Settings menu inside. It's about
90KB, but I don't suppose I can stuff that into he paste bin.

What I see clicking the blue Konq web browser button in the desktop task
bar is first the error caused by not being able to access the opensuse
server - no internet connection! Clicking on the Settings button in the
Konq command bar gives me the dropdown menu with Konq Configuration at
the bottom.

As I interpret the left and right "Frames", I see the expansion of the
selected left frame icon in the right frame. Behavior is the default
left icon selection. It is at the absolute top of the left frame scroll bar.

The left frame "Behavior" icon expands with a header saying the right
frame settings are for Konq as a file manager. Right frame top panel is
all checkboxes called "Misc Options" the deal with display like single
window.

Underneath the Misc Options panel is the "Homepage" textbox and browser
button. There is no dropdown menu in this right frame. I must be looking
in the wrong place!

By contrast, Firefox Edit > Preferences shows a startup menu with the
pulldown list just above the textbox for the homepage URL.

I did try looking at the expansion of the left frame Web Behavior Icon.
Nothing in the right frame expansion looks appropriate for startup URL.

Since I only have to make this Konq startup URL change once how about
giving me the path to where this link is stored and I'll change it there
with VI?

Thanks for your help guys! Frank K