[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 14 07:28:11 UTC 2009

Dale wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>> Dale wrote:
>>

>>> I don't have that directory so apparently Gentoo is set up
>>> differently with how D-Bus works.  This is what I have by using
>>> tab completion of course:
>>>
>>> root at smoker ~ # cat /etc/dbus-1/s session.conf  session.d/
>>> system.conf   system.d/ root at smoker ~ # cat /etc/dbus-1/s
>>>
>>> I'm in KDE 4 right now so I can't use Konqueror to do some
>>> searching like I usually would.  This is why I don't want KDE 4
>>> right now.  :/
>>>

>> Did you try the series of commands listed above?  Might work.
>>
>> IAC, the file "/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf" will only exist if
>> the user has created it to add to the "/etc/dbus-1/session.conf"
>> file.  You do that so that you don't loose your local configuration
>>  when you upgrade.  As I said, this may not be necessary if you
>> have KDE-4 installed in "/usr".  Don't know what the default for
>> Gentoo is or if you have options.  Also, the documentation for
>> D-Bus indicates that this isn't necessary in you have the
>> XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable set correctly.  I suppose that
>> redundant configuration wouldn't hurt.
>>
>> So, it is possible that the environment variables are the problem.
>> Do you have system wide XDG date anywhere but in "/usr/share" and
>> subdirectories?
>>

> Actually two of those above are directories not files.  None of those
>  are executable.  I also looked in the two directories and there are
> no executable files there.  I guess they are somewhere else.  No idea
>  where tho.

That is correct, two files and two directories.  The files are not
executable but rather XML files which are read by D-Bus.

> As for configuring D-Bus, I haven't touched it.  Gentoo has done
> whatever has been done, so far at least.

If you installed KDE-4 using Gentoo, things should be correct.  However,
if you installed KDE-4 yourself, then might have to make that one
configuration unless you installed KDE-4 in "/usr".

> I didn't create those files and until now didn't even know they were
> there.

Those are the standard configuration files which were installed with
D-Bus and you should not change them.

> Everything else works on this system, except for the KDE 4 stuff so I
> assume KDE 4 has some sort of "issue" with D-Bus or maybe I need a
> newer version of D-Bus. Again, I understand that KDE 4 is still very
> much a work in progress.

Actually, the applications do not use D-Bus directly but rather through
bindings.  The Qt bindings are part of Qt and you need to have built Qt
against the D-Bus version that you currently have installed.  Then
Strigi and LibKDECore are dependent on the Qt D-Bus bindings:
"libQtDBus".  So, you need to build KDESupport and KDELibs built against
Qt which was build against D-Bus.

You also need PolicyKit and polkit installed -- they are not the same
thing -- as well as Consolekit and EggDBus.  Gentoo should have taken
care of this, but perhaps you should check since you are having a problem.

> I don't think anyone is claiming it to be finished.  I sort of think
> that KDE 4 still needs a little more time.  I'm hoping 4.4 will come
> out soon with some more fixes.
>
> I did stay logged into KDE 4 for a couple days this time.  I was
> trying to do some updates today and really wanted to use Konqueror
> and edit some files.  So back to KDE 3.5 I went.  It works.
>
> This is what I have for XDG in my /etc directory:

<SNIP>

> That's all I have found.

run in a Konsole:

	env |grep XDG

and post output.

Sorry that this isn't getting anywhere and is getting complicated.
Elsewhere I have complained that KDE-4 is dependent on complicated
libraries with obscure configuration.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch