[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:42:20 UTC 2009

James Tyrer wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>

>> I don't have that directory so apparently Gentoo is set up differently
>> with how D-Bus works.  This is what I have by using tab completion of
>> course:
>>
>> root at smoker ~ # cat /etc/dbus-1/s
>> session.conf  session.d/    system.conf   system.d/
>> root at smoker ~ # cat /etc/dbus-1/s
>>
>> I'm in KDE 4 right now so I can't use Konqueror to do some searching
>> like I usually would.  This is why I don't want KDE 4 right now.  :/
>>

> Did you try the series of commands listed above?  Might work.
>
> IAC, the file "/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf" will only exist if the
> user has created it to add to the "/etc/dbus-1/session.conf" file.  You
> do that so that you don't loose your local configuration when you
> upgrade.  As I said, this may not be necessary if you have KDE-4
> installed in "/usr".  Don't know what the default for Gentoo is or if
> you have options.  Also, the documentation for D-Bus indicates that this
> isn't necessary in you have the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable set
> correctly.  I suppose that redundant configuration wouldn't hurt.
>
> So, it is possible that the environment variables are the problem.  Do
> you have system wide XDG date anywhere but in "/usr/share" and
> subdirectories?

Actually two of those above are directories not files.  None of those
are executable.  I also looked in the two directories and there are no
executable files there.  I guess they are somewhere else.  No idea where
tho.

As for configuring D-Bus, I haven't touched it.  Gentoo has done
whatever has been done, so far at least.  I didn't create those files
and until now didn't even know they were there.  Everything else works
on this system, except for the KDE 4 stuff so I assume KDE 4 has some
sort of "issue" with D-Bus or maybe I need a newer version of D-Bus.
Again, I understand that KDE 4 is still very much a work in progress.  I
don't think anyone is claiming it to be finished.  I sort of think that
KDE 4 still needs a little more time.  I'm hoping 4.4 will come out soon
with some more fixes.

I did stay logged into KDE 4 for a couple days this time.  I was trying
to do some updates today and really wanted to use Konqueror and edit
some files.  So back to KDE 3.5 I went.  It works.

This is what I have for XDG in my /etc directory:

root at smoker / # ls -al /etc/xdg/*
/etc/xdg/autostart:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  88 Nov 13 02:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 104 Aug 27 19:05 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 307 Nov 13 02:23 hplip-systray.desktop

/etc/xdg/menus:
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root   200 Nov  4 11:16 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root   104 Aug 27 19:05 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    80 Sep  4 15:33 applications-merged
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   407 Sep  4 15:33 ggz.menu
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10795 Jul 29 06:09 kde-4.3-applications.menu
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   279 Jan  4  2008 kde-information.menu
root at smoker / #

I see a kde-4.3 file so I looked in it, it looks like the file for the
KDE start menu thingy.  The little K menu if you will.  Nothing in there
about D-Bus at all.

I also looked in /usr/share.  The only thing I found for xdg was man
page zip files.  No config files that I can find or anything else.  I
looked in /usr and found some in the kde 3.5 directory and some others
in /usr/bin:

root at smoker / # ls /usr/bin/xdg-*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14806 Sep  4 09:17 /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-icon
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 39353 Sep  4 09:17 /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16186 Sep  4 09:17 /usr/bin/xdg-email
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24129 Sep  4 09:17 /usr/bin/xdg-icon-resource
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 27888 Sep  4 09:17 /usr/bin/xdg-mime
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10141 Sep  4 09:17 /usr/bin/xdg-open
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 19303 Sep  4 09:17 /usr/bin/xdg-screensaver
root at smoker / #

That's all I have found.

Dale

:-)  :-)