[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 08:42:12 UTC 2009

Dale wrote:
> James Tyrer wrote:
>> Dale wrote:
>>
>>> This may have helped.  I get this:
>>>
>>> root at smoker ~ # kdeinit4 kdeinit4: preparing to launch
>>> /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so kdeinit4: Communication error with
>>> launcher. Exiting! root at smoker ~ #
>>>

>> I have seen that error while starting Konqueror as root in a Konsole using:
>>
>> 	xhost + root
>> 	su -
>> 	{enter password}
>> 	DISPLAY=":0.0"
>> 	export DISPLAY
>> 	konqueror
>>
>> before I found out what happened to "kdesu".  And you might try that as
>> well.  The thing is that I never figured out what the problem was.  In
>> fact, I decided that it was a random error since closing that Konsole
>> instance and opening another and trying again always worked. :-(
>>

>>> If it has a error like that, it may not be starting launcher when I
>>> login either.  That could be the problem.
>>>

>> I still suspect D-Bus for my problem as well as yours.
>>

>>> On D-Bus, I havnt't configured anything.  Gentoo takes care of all
>>> that.  It is running and works for everything else. I dunno.
>>>

>> I just used the configure files in the BLFS manual.  There is one thing.
>>    As it says in the tutorial:
>>
>> 	http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4.x
>>
>> 		[Shameless self promotion]
>>
>> The "/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf" file must be configured for it to
>> find your KDE-4 D-Bus services which are located in:
>>
>> 	$KDEDIR/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir
>>
>> If you installed KDE-4 using Gentoo scripts, that should be configured
>> but you might want to check it.  So, for example, my KDE-4 is installed
>> in: "/usr/KDE-4" so I added this line:
>>
>> 	<servicedir>/usr/KDE-4/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir>
>>
>> to that file along with the other similar lines.  If you installed KDE-4
>> in "/usr" then you probably don't need to add anything.
>>

> I don't have that directory so apparently Gentoo is set up differently
> with how D-Bus works.  This is what I have by using tab completion of
> course:
>
> root at smoker ~ # cat /etc/dbus-1/s
> session.conf  session.d/    system.conf   system.d/
> root at smoker ~ # cat /etc/dbus-1/s
>
> I'm in KDE 4 right now so I can't use Konqueror to do some searching
> like I usually would.  This is why I don't want KDE 4 right now.  :/

Did you try the series of commands listed above?  Might work.

IAC, the file "/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf" will only exist if the
user has created it to add to the "/etc/dbus-1/session.conf" file.  You
do that so that you don't loose your local configuration when you
upgrade.  As I said, this may not be necessary if you have KDE-4
installed in "/usr".  Don't know what the default for Gentoo is or if
you have options.  Also, the documentation for D-Bus indicates that this
isn't necessary in you have the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable set
correctly.  I suppose that redundant configuration wouldn't hurt.

So, it is possible that the environment variables are the problem.  Do
you have system wide XDG date anywhere but in "/usr/share" and
subdirectories?

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch