[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Nov 9 11:44:41 UTC 2009

On Monday, 2009-11-09, Dale wrote:

> Problem one, I used to use Konqueror as root to edit config files and
> such.  I have to be root to do this.  I set Dolphin up to run as root
> and it comes up fine.  I even like the look so far.  The last time I
> tried this it wouldn't even open a folder, directory or whatever you
> want to call it.  It does after this latest update today.  I assume that
> got fixed.  However, if I got to a directory like /etc ,which is owned
> by root, and try to open a text file, I get a error.  It won't let me
> copy and paste so it is a screen shot.  It basically complains about
> Klauncher and dbus.  Screen shot is attached as screenshot1.

When you run Dolphin as root (not sure if there is a better method now, don't
follow that policy kit stuff closely enough), how do you start it?
From a user session using some run-as option or by getting a root shell and
running it from there?

> Problem two, akonadi isn't working.  I did Google for this and I
> couldn't find a fix but it appears to be a common issue.  It appears to
> be a mismatch between software versions.  This may be as simple as
> someone who has it working posting what version they are using and me
> matching that.  It may be something else that is needed.  This is the
> error that it gives:
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
> ===============================
>
> Test 1:  SUCCESS
> --------
>
> Database driver found.
> Details: The QtSQL driver 'QSQLITE' is required by your current Akonadi
> server configuration.
> The following drivers are installed: QSQLITE.
> Make sure the required driver is installed.
>
> File content of '/home/dale/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc':
> [%General]
> Driver=QSQLITE
> [QMYSQL]
> Name=akonadi_jedd
> User=akonadi_jedd
> Password=secret
> Options=
> ServerPath=/usr/sbin/mysqld
> StartServer=false
> Host=localhost
>
> Test 2:  SKIP
> --------
>
> MySQL server executable not tested.
> Details: The current configuration does not require an internal MySQL
> server.

Just to make sure this is intentional: you are running a system wide MySQL
daemon and want it to be used for Akonadi's database, correct?

> Test 5:  SUCCESS
> --------
>
> akonadictl found and usable
> Details: The program '/usr/bin/akonadictl' to control the Akonadi server
> was found and could be executed successfully.
> Result:
> /usr/bin/akonadictl: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/akonadictl: undefined
> symbol:
> _ZN5boost15program_options6detail7cmdline21set_additional_parserENS_9functi
> on1ISt4pairISsSsERKSsSaINS_13function_baseEEEE

This looks like a version mismatch of libboost and the executable.
Kind of strange on Gentoo, like emerging a different boost after building the
executable and the system not detecting it has to recompile all dependencies
as well.

I think the rest are consequences of the starter executable failing to start
due to this linker error.

> I can't help but notice it complains about dbus in this error as well.
> Is this a dbus problem?

Could be related, but since the akonadictl executable cannot be started due to
the symbol mismatch, I would be surprised if it still managed to start any
Akonadi process :)

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring