[kde-linux] KDE 4. Trying to get it working like I need it to.

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 11:12:48 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

I log into KDE 4 whenever there is a update to something just to see
what is working and what issues still remain.  This is hopefully going
to be the catch all thread for me.  Right now, I have two things that I
want to work on.  There are others but this is two biggies.  I will say
that after this last update, it is looking pretty darn cool.

I'm using Gentoo.  I have both KDE 3.5 and KDE 4 installed.  After
yesterday, I have the latest updates that are available through Gentoo.
Here are the versions of some of the software that may help in this:

sqlite-2.8.16-r4
sqlite-3.6.18
kdelibs-4.3.3
akonadi-server-1.2.1
akonadi-4.3.3

This is all the dbus related stuff:

dbus-glib-0.76 (0)
dbus-qt3-old-0.70 (0)
dbus-python-0.83.0-r1 (0)
dbus-1.2.3-r1 (0)
qt-dbus-4.5.3-r1 (4)

If it matters,

gcc-4.4.2

Problem one, I used to use Konqueror as root to edit config files and
such.  I have to be root to do this.  I set Dolphin up to run as root
and it comes up fine.  I even like the look so far.  The last time I
tried this it wouldn't even open a folder, directory or whatever you
want to call it.  It does after this latest update today.  I assume that
got fixed.  However, if I got to a directory like /etc ,which is owned
by root, and try to open a text file, I get a error.  It won't let me
copy and paste so it is a screen shot.  It basically complains about
Klauncher and dbus.  Screen shot is attached as screenshot1.

Problem two, akonadi isn't working.  I did Google for this and I
couldn't find a fix but it appears to be a common issue.  It appears to
be a mismatch between software versions.  This may be as simple as
someone who has it working posting what version they are using and me
matching that.  It may be something else that is needed.  This is the
error that it gives:

Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
===============================

Test 1:  SUCCESS
--------

Database driver found.
Details: The QtSQL driver 'QSQLITE' is required by your current Akonadi
server configuration.
The following drivers are installed: QSQLITE.
Make sure the required driver is installed.

File content of '/home/dale/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc':
[%General]
Driver=QSQLITE
[QMYSQL]
Name=akonadi_jedd
User=akonadi_jedd
Password=secret
Options=
ServerPath=/usr/sbin/mysqld
StartServer=false
Host=localhost

Test 2:  SKIP
--------

MySQL server executable not tested.
Details: The current configuration does not require an internal MySQL
server.

Test 3:  SKIP
--------

MySQL server error log not tested.
Details: The current configuration does not require an internal MySQL
server.

Test 4:  SKIP
--------

MySQL server configuration not tested.
Details: The current configuration does not require an internal MySQL
server.

Test 5:  SUCCESS
--------

akonadictl found and usable
Details: The program '/usr/bin/akonadictl' to control the Akonadi server
was found and could be executed successfully.
Result:
/usr/bin/akonadictl: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/akonadictl: undefined
symbol:
_ZN5boost15program_options6detail7cmdline21set_additional_parserENS_9function1ISt4pairISsSsERKSsSaINS_13function_baseEEEE

Test 6:  ERROR
--------

Akonadi control process not registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi control process is not registered at D-Bus which
typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during
startup.

Test 7:  ERROR
--------

Akonadi server process not registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi server process is not registered at D-Bus which
typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during
startup.

Test 8:  SKIP
--------

Protocol version check not possible.
Details: Without a connection to the server it is not possible to check
if the protocol version meets the requirements.

Test 9:  ERROR
--------

No resource agents found.
Details: No resource agents have been found, Akonadi is not usable
without at least one. This usually means that no resource agents are
installed or that there is a setup problem. The following paths have
been searched: '/usr/share/akonadi/agents /usr/share/akonadi/agents'.
The XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable is set to
'/usr/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share', make sure this includes all
paths where Akonadi agents are installed to.

Directory listing of '/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
birthdaysresource.desktop
distlistresource.desktop
icalresource.desktop
imapresource.desktop
kabcresource.desktop
kcalresource.desktop
knutresource.desktop
kolabproxyresource.desktop
localbookmarksresource.desktop
maildirresource.desktop
microblog.desktop
nepomukcontactfeeder.desktop
nepomukemailfeeder.desktop
nepomuktagresource.desktop
nntpresource.desktop
notesresource.desktop
strigifeeder.desktop
vcarddirresource.desktop
vcardresource.desktop
Directory listing of '/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
birthdaysresource.desktop
distlistresource.desktop
icalresource.desktop
imapresource.desktop
kabcresource.desktop
kcalresource.desktop
knutresource.desktop
kolabproxyresource.desktop
localbookmarksresource.desktop
maildirresource.desktop
microblog.desktop
nepomukcontactfeeder.desktop
nepomukemailfeeder.desktop
nepomuktagresource.desktop
nntpresource.desktop
notesresource.desktop
strigifeeder.desktop
vcarddirresource.desktop
vcardresource.desktop

Environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to
'/usr/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share'

Test 10:  SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi server error log found.
Details: The Akonadi server did not report any errors during its current
startup.

Test 11:  SUCCESS
--------

No previous Akonadi server error log found.
Details: The Akonadi server did not report any errors during its
previous startup.

Test 12:  SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi control error log found.
Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during
its current startup.

Test 13:  SUCCESS
--------

No previous Akonadi control error log found.
Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during
its previous startup.

I can't help but notice it complains about dbus in this error as well.
Is this a dbus problem?

Since this is a long post, please snip where needed and make sure not to
include the attached screen shot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dale

:-)  :-)