[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:26:22 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009 10:14:33 Dale wrote:
> > I have no idea where Gentoo gets their source. I can only assume that
> > it's not  from the enterprise branch.   Do you really think that RHEL is
> > using broken 3.5?
> >

> Gentoo is a source based distro so the sources for KDE come from KDE.
> It is not like Redhat or Mandrake which is binary based.  According to
> the discussions on the developers mailing list, KDE is not releasing
> updates or fixes for KDE 3.5.  That is the reason they give for removing
> packages that are broken.

In that case they are not using the enterprise branch.  This is not so
surprising, as enterprise users have a specific set of needs.  The problem
comes when a user wants the latest and greatest.  The enterprise releases are
focused 100% on stability.
> > Much would depend on what sort of user your brother is.  I have installed
> > 4.3  on desktops for two completely non-tech users, and both are fine,
> > but then I knew exactly what they wanted out of it and which applications
> > would provide it.  I didn't complicate matters by giving them lots of
> > additional options.  I would feel equally comfortable giving it to
> > someone who is a natural problem- solver.  I would not give it to someone
> > who is a 'must work out of the box' person.
> >
> > Until you are able to get your own system working comfortably you are
> > unlikely  to be able to give the support a new user may need, so it's
> > probably wise for you to wait.
> >

> My brother is not a techie for sure.  He has no idea how to do any sort
> of updating or fixing on a computer.  He can take a Ford engine apart,
> rebuild it and make it fly but he can't fix anything on a puter.  I'm
> wanting him to get away from windoze for that reason.  I want to install
> Linux and not have to worry about something not working like it should.
> That's why I want to stay with KDE 3.5 for the moment as well.

You wouldn't expect such a user to install Windows and set it up properly and
securely.  He sounds like the two non-tech users that I spoke of.  Do the
installation for him, set up links or 'favorites' for the applications that he
will want to use, make sure his email works, and maybe leave a note on his
desktop with any information he may need to get started.  In one of the two
cases I mentioned I left a "sticky note" explaining that the folderview on her
desktop gave her immediate access to her old Windows MyDocuments folder.

This sort of user has very little problem.