[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:14:33 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 02 November 2009 08:20:51 Dale wrote:
>
>> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> On mixed systems I would not find that surprising.  On my server, which
>>> runs CentOS, it is fully updated and nothing breaks.  As I said, 3.5 is
>>> being maintained as an enterprise system.  It's there if you want to use
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Anne
>>>
>> Then why is Gentoo removing broken KDE 3.5 packages?  Gentoo builds on
>> the sources so if KDE is releasing updated sources, then Gentoo should
>> be getting them too.  After all, the other distros has to have sources
>> to build off of to.  RPMs don't come out of thin air.
>>

> I have no idea where Gentoo gets their source. I can only assume that it's not
> from the enterprise branch.   Do you really think that RHEL is using broken
> 3.5?

Gentoo is a source based distro so the sources for KDE come from KDE.
It is not like Redhat or Mandrake which is binary based.  According to
the discussions on the developers mailing list, KDE is not releasing
updates or fixes for KDE 3.5.  That is the reason they give for removing
packages that are broken.

>> On a side note, I'm wanting to switch my older brother from windoze to
>> Linux.  Given the current state of KDE, I'm not installing Linux at
>> all.  KDE 3.5 is not maintained, on Gentoo at least, and KDE 4 is not
>> stable enough for him.  I need it to be stable and working well for
>> him.  I would like to install KDE 3.5.10 if I could get it all to
>> working then upgrade him when say KDE 4.5 comes out which should be
>> pretty stable.
>>

> Much would depend on what sort of user your brother is.  I have installed 4.3
> on desktops for two completely non-tech users, and both are fine, but then I
> knew exactly what they wanted out of it and which applications would provide
> it.  I didn't complicate matters by giving them lots of additional options.  I
> would feel equally comfortable giving it to someone who is a natural problem-
> solver.  I would not give it to someone who is a 'must work out of the box'
> person.
>
> Until you are able to get your own system working comfortably you are unlikely
> to be able to give the support a new user may need, so it's probably wise for
> you to wait.
>
> Anne

<  SNIP >>

My brother is not a techie for sure.  He has no idea how to do any sort
of updating or fixing on a computer.  He can take a Ford engine apart,
rebuild it and make it fly but he can't fix anything on a puter.  I'm
wanting him to get away from windoze for that reason.  I want to install
Linux and not have to worry about something not working like it should.
That's why I want to stay with KDE 3.5 for the moment as well.

Dale

:-)  :-)