[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:59:16 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 02 November 2009 10:14:33 Dale wrote:
>
>>> I have no idea where Gentoo gets their source. I can only assume that
>>> it's not  from the enterprise branch.   Do you really think that RHEL is
>>> using broken 3.5?
>>>

>> Gentoo is a source based distro so the sources for KDE come from KDE.
>> It is not like Redhat or Mandrake which is binary based.  According to
>> the discussions on the developers mailing list, KDE is not releasing
>> updates or fixes for KDE 3.5.  That is the reason they give for removing
>> packages that are broken.
>>

> In that case they are not using the enterprise branch.  This is not so
> surprising, as enterprise users have a specific set of needs.  The problem
> comes when a user wants the latest and greatest.  The enterprise releases are
> focused 100% on stability.

Would Mandriva be one of the ones that would be using that branch?  That
is what I am thinking about installing at least for right now.

>>> Much would depend on what sort of user your brother is.  I have installed
>>> 4.3  on desktops for two completely non-tech users, and both are fine,
>>> but then I knew exactly what they wanted out of it and which applications
>>> would provide it.  I didn't complicate matters by giving them lots of
>>> additional options.  I would feel equally comfortable giving it to
>>> someone who is a natural problem- solver.  I would not give it to someone
>>> who is a 'must work out of the box' person.
>>>
>>> Until you are able to get your own system working comfortably you are
>>> unlikely  to be able to give the support a new user may need, so it's
>>> probably wise for you to wait.
>>>

>> My brother is not a techie for sure.  He has no idea how to do any sort
>> of updating or fixing on a computer.  He can take a Ford engine apart,
>> rebuild it and make it fly but he can't fix anything on a puter.  I'm
>> wanting him to get away from windoze for that reason.  I want to install
>> Linux and not have to worry about something not working like it should.
>> That's why I want to stay with KDE 3.5 for the moment as well.
>>

> You wouldn't expect such a user to install Windows and set it up properly and
> securely.  He sounds like the two non-tech users that I spoke of.  Do the
> installation for him, set up links or 'favorites' for the applications that he
> will want to use, make sure his email works, and maybe leave a note on his
> desktop with any information he may need to get started.  In one of the two
> cases I mentioned I left a "sticky note" explaining that the folderview on her
> desktop gave her immediate access to her old Windows MyDocuments folder.
>
> This sort of user has very little problem.
>
> Anne

Well, my brother may not even know as much as those two.  I do have KDE
4 installed here.  I'm not willing to use it yet so I'm not planning to
ask him to use it either.  It's not even ready for me yet.  I know its
not ready for him.

All that said, I suspect that in a couple more months, allowing for the
holidays to slow things down a little, KDE 4 will be off to a lot better
start for me.  It just seems that every time I want to do something, its
not there or it doesn't work yet.  I sort of get bored quickly in those
situations and go back to what I know works for me.

Dale

:-)  :-)