[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:33:06 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009 08:20:51 Dale wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 02 November 2009 07:28:27 Duncan wrote:
> >> The promise was made it public, the breaking of it should be kept
> >> equally public.  And yes, it IS a breaking.
> >
> > On mixed systems I would not find that surprising.  On my server, which
> > runs CentOS, it is fully updated and nothing breaks.  As I said, 3.5 is
> > being maintained as an enterprise system.  It's there if you want to use
> > it.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Then why is Gentoo removing broken KDE 3.5 packages?  Gentoo builds on
> the sources so if KDE is releasing updated sources, then Gentoo should
> be getting them too.  After all, the other distros has to have sources
> to build off of to.  RPMs don't come out of thin air.

I have no idea where Gentoo gets their source. I can only assume that it's not
from the enterprise branch.   Do you really think that RHEL is using broken
3.5?

> On a side note, I'm wanting to switch my older brother from windoze to
> Linux.  Given the current state of KDE, I'm not installing Linux at
> all.  KDE 3.5 is not maintained, on Gentoo at least, and KDE 4 is not
> stable enough for him.  I need it to be stable and working well for
> him.  I would like to install KDE 3.5.10 if I could get it all to
> working then upgrade him when say KDE 4.5 comes out which should be
> pretty stable.

Much would depend on what sort of user your brother is.  I have installed 4.3
on desktops for two completely non-tech users, and both are fine, but then I
knew exactly what they wanted out of it and which applications would provide
it.  I didn't complicate matters by giving them lots of additional options.  I
would feel equally comfortable giving it to someone who is a natural problem-
solver.  I would not give it to someone who is a 'must work out of the box'
person.

Until you are able to get your own system working comfortably you are unlikely
to be able to give the support a new user may need, so it's probably wise for
you to wait.