[kde-linux] KDE-4.2 BRANCH vs KDM from 3.5.x

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed May 20 23:14:31 UTC 2009

Is there any reason that I shouldn't be able to run KDE-4.2 BRANCH or
KDE TRUNK from KDM in KDE-3.5 BRANCH?

Strange things happen.  If I start just KDE-4.2 BRANCH (vt7) it seems to
work OK.  However, if I have my regular KDE-3.5 BRANCH account started
(vt7) and use "Start New Session" to run KDE-4.2 BRANCH (vt8) it starts
up OK but is very unstable.  Usually it crashes the X session when I
click Mouse Button 2 (right click).

Note that I have a test user account for KDE-4 and the ~/.bash_profile
script sets all of the necessary environment variables to run KDE-4.2
BRANCH which is installed in /usr/KDE-4 and Qt which is installed in:
/usr/local/Troltec.

Since the whole X session crashes, I have no back trace and no idea what
the cause was.

This problem started when I upgraded Xorg to get compositing to work.
And it works nicely now with server-1.5.3 and Mesa-7.4.2.  Before the X
upgrades, I had no problems.

I also note that if I do it the other way with KDE-4.2 in vt7 and
KDE-3.5 in vt8 that it works OK.  Perhaps I need an exorcist. :-)

--
JRT

Linux (mostly) From Scratch