[kde-linux] Blank screen during bootup kde 3.5.10

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Tue Mar 24 21:07:58 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 15:30:29 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <200903241449.02720.bbales at cox.net>, Bruce Bales wrote:
> >On Tuesday 24 March 2009 14:03:44 Felix Miata wrote:
> >> On 2009/03/24 19:03 (GMT+0100) Werner Joss composed:
>
> If you'd prefer to maintain your own menu.lst/grub.conf, *buntu can be
> configured that way.
>
> Otherwise, read the documentation (which is in the file) to understand how
> it is generated.
>
> >> *buntu stores the reversions to make in the upper part of menu.lst. If
> >> you remove splash and quiet from up there in what looks like comments,
> >> they won't get "reverted".
> >
> >I guess you mean to modify the line
> ># defoptions=quiet splash
> >even though it appears to be commented out?
>
> Read the comments above that.
>
> Debian (and derivatives like *buntu) use comments inside in
> menu.lst/grub.conf to generate the AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST.  Commands to grub
> are non-commented.  Commands to the rebuild script (/usr/sbin/update-grub,
> I think) are singly commented and appear in a specific section of the file.
> The rebuild sciript will also ignore anything doubly-commented (which is
> why many of the "stock" comments in that file start with '##'.
>
> (You don't think that?  Come up with a better system.  Debian is always
> looking for more contributors.)

Thanks, Boyd.  That seems like a useful system.  I had never heard of the
explanation of why there were sometimes one star and other times two.  Does
that make me stupid?

> If people would actually *read* what is presented to them, there'd be
> significantly fewer support issues worldwide.  No wonder RTFM and STFW have
> been abbreviated.
Some times people use RTFM like there is a five-page book easily available
with all the answers to everything.  Sometimes finding the information is not
easy.  I don't find much documentation on this question in /boot or
in /boot/grub.  man grub and man update-grub show a lot, but not everything.

No matter how hard I try, I can't find all the answers.  locate doc |wc shows
me over 23,000 files with the word doc in the title,  locate -i readme |wc
reveals over 1200 readme files.  I've been using linux for 9-1/2 years (since
I was 67) and I don't have all the answers yet.  I'll keep trying.
bruce