[kde-linux] Blank screen during bootup kde 3.5.10

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Tue Mar 24 20:30:29 UTC 2009

In <200903241449.02720.bbales at cox.net>, Bruce Bales wrote:
>On Tuesday 24 March 2009 14:03:44 Felix Miata wrote:
>> On 2009/03/24 19:03 (GMT+0100) Werner Joss composed:
>> > kubuntu is known to revert the mentioned changes when a kernel update
>> > arrives, you'll then have to do the same again afterwards.

If you'd prefer to maintain your own menu.lst/grub.conf, *buntu can be
configured that way.

Otherwise, read the documentation (which is in the file) to understand how
it is generated.

>> *buntu stores the reversions to make in the upper part of menu.lst. If
>> you remove splash and quiet from up there in what looks like comments,
>> they won't get "reverted".
>I guess you mean to modify the line
># defoptions=quiet splash
>even though it appears to be commented out?

Read the comments above that.

Debian (and derivatives like *buntu) use comments inside in
menu.lst/grub.conf to generate the AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST.  Commands to grub
are non-commented.  Commands to the rebuild script (/usr/sbin/update-grub, I
think) are singly commented and appear in a specific section of the file.
The rebuild sciript will also ignore anything doubly-commented (which is why
many of the "stock" comments in that file start with '##'.

(You don't think that?  Come up with a better system.  Debian is always
looking for more contributors.)

If people would actually *read* what is presented to them, there'd be
significantly fewer support issues worldwide.  No wonder RTFM and STFW have
been abbreviated.
bss at iguanasuicide.net            	((_/)o o(\_))