[kde-linux] Blank screen during bootup kde 3.5.10

Bruce Bales bbales at cox.net
Tue Mar 24 16:36:53 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,
I'm using Kubuntu 8.04,  kde 3.5.10, 2.6gHz computer and a wide screen 19"
proview monitor.
I have two questions which may be related.

1. When I boot up, the entire screen goes black for as much as 60 seconds
before a large dot appears and morphs into an arrow-cursor.  Not knowing what
is going on for that 60 seconds (or even IF anything is going on) makes me
nervous.  If this is the default behavior, is there a way to change it -- put
some kind of graphic on the screen?

2. When I hit cntrl-F2 (or cntrl-F[2:6]), I get a login screen in huge type
with 40 chars per line and about 20 lines high.  After name and password, it
scrolls off the screen below and I never see a prompt, so this is worthless
for a rescue method.  How can I change this?

bruce