[kde-linux] Blank screen during bootup kde 3.5.10

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Tue Mar 24 16:57:52 UTC 2009

Am Tuesday 24 March 2009 17:36:53 schrieb Bruce Bales:
> Hello everyone,
> I'm using Kubuntu 8.04,  kde 3.5.10, 2.6gHz computer and a wide screen 19"
> proview monitor.
> I have two questions which may be related.

they are :)

> 1. When I boot up, the entire screen goes black for as much as 60 seconds
> before a large dot appears and morphs into an arrow-cursor.  Not knowing
> what is going on for that 60 seconds (or even IF anything is going on)
> makes me nervous.  If this is the default behavior, is there a way to
> change it -- put some kind of graphic on the screen?

easiest way is to just remove the ending 'quiet splash' words from
the 'kernel ...' line(s) in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file, that will result
in text mode display of all startup log messages, so you can actually see and
follow what's going on.
moreover, a better text mode resolution should be automatically set, so that
should resolve issue #2 :)
of course, there is also much more that can be customized, such as display
nice splash screen in FB mode etc. - you may want to google e.g. for 'grub
menu.lst splash' ...

werner