[kde-linux] 4.2 task bar/panel not working

James Kerr jim at jkerr82508.free-online.co.uk
Sun Mar 8 01:27:10 UTC 2009

On Saturday 07 March 2009 Stephen Constantinou wrote:

> Dear KDE helpers
>
> I have recently installed Kubuntu 8.10 only to be disappointed by
> KDE 4.1.  I managed to install 4.2 only to discover that the basic
> things I was not able to do in 4.1 I still cannot do in 4.2.
>

> Those basic things are:
> 1) make shortcuts to applications next to the K

Drag the link from the Kick-off menu or create a link in a folder in
Dolphin and drag it to the panel.

http://forum.kde.org/howto-panel-in-kde-4-1-2-t-6902.html

> 3) I cannot make a widget remain at the far right of the panel
> (what used to be the task bar)

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Panel+Spacer?content=89304
Panel spacer may be packaged for your distro. (This should not be
needed if you add a Task Manager widget to the panel.)

> 4) I have also noticed that when applications are open they do not
> have a button in the task bar

Add a Task Manager widget

> I could do all these things in KDE 3.5 and I hope this
> functionality has not been removed.

All four of these work in KDE4.2 (and also in KDE4.1).

Jim