[kde-linux] KuickShow under KDE 4

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jun 24 14:23:46 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> jim wrote:
>>> Ive been trying to find a way to obtain KuickShow ever since I installed
>>> Fedora 10/KDE 4.1.2.   I thought it was available from kde-extra-gear but
>>> was unable to find it there. I recieved a nice email from the author,
>>> Carsten Pfeiffer, stating there was a version for KDE4, that is shipped
>>> with Mandriva Linux.
>>>
>> The code is in SVN, and I compiled it from source.
>>
>>> Would I be able to somehow obtain and install that version on my
>>> Fedora 10 system? Or will it eventually be generally available for KDE 4?
>>>
>>> I really need KuickShow as it is the only image viewer that I know that
>>> allows one to add/view annotations to jpeg images. (meta-info
>>> user-comments).in any directory where there are photos.
>>>
>> Contact Rex Dieter.
>> Well, I'll just CC him and see what he thinks.
>
> Sure, it's possible to do install/run kde3 apps like kuickshow (from
> kdegraphics-3.5.x) within a kde4 installation.

It has been ported to KDE-4 (version 0.9.1).  I installed it from SVN
(in extragear) and it works for me but others have reported issues with
their video driver (this may be an ImLib problem).  Actually, I
sometimes have issues with the Z order of images and something that
should be behind the image window is in front of it -- this may actually
be a Plasma bug since they are Plasma popup windows.  IAC, this should
not be considered to be a stable package yet, but people seem to want it.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch