[kde-linux] 20090721KL -- Dolphin And Partitions

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:07:19 UTC 2009

On 07/22/2009 09:06 AM, Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 July 2009 09:04, JD wrote:

>>> Hello, Joe --
>>>
>>> For a short time, Dolphin saw ALL of my partitions, and it was
>>> certain (to me!) which ones were openSUSE and which were Jaunty.
>>> What a PLEASANT surprise!!!  You have a point in suggesting that
>>> those days may well be history.  I will be observant.

>>> Jaunty did NOT (automatically) create all those partitions!
>>> Instead, I studied one book about Ubuntu Linux in its discussion of
>>> partitioning, and tried to set things up well.  I think that I have
>>> one Primary partition for openSUSE and another similar partition
>>> for Jaunty.  The rest are "sub-partitions".  Also, be aware that MY
>>> openSUSE will never need to mount Jaunty partitions -- only the
>>> reverse is needed.  To the best of my knowledge, "BSD partitions"
>>> (thankfully!!!) have nothing to do with this installation.

>>> I think that I need sda2 and sda3 visible to both.  openSUSE needs
>>> them to run at all, and Jaunty needs them to bring some data over
>>> to the Jaunty installation.  NOTHING that is presently Jaunty-only
>>> needs to be visible to openSUSE.

>>> In openSUSE, I tried running this command, both as myself and as
>>> sudo. Both times I was told "fdisk: command not found".  Obviously
>>> I need to do some research -- unless this is just more of the
>>> reason for my move away from openSUSE.  Please understand that I am
>>> not "mad" at SUSE, but I am very perturbed about my own
>>> installation )which was done by a store's personnel)!
>>>
>>> Also, searching for the file yielded one "fdisk" in "sbin/".  It
>>> has some 86,352 bytes, and is "Read Only", NOT executable!
>>>
>>> In Kubuntu Jaunty my results were dramatically different, like this
>>> --
>>>
>>> Disk /dev/sda:  250.0 GB,  250059350016 bytes
>>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
>>> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>>> Disk identifier: 0x000dcd1b
>>>
>>> Device Boot   Start         End              Blocks      ID
>>> System /dev/sda1             1         131         1052226      82
>>> Linux swap / Solaris
>>> /dev/sda2         132       2742      20972857+   83   Linux
>>> /dev/sda3       2743    16428    109932795      83   Linux
>>> /dev/sda4     16429    30401    112238122+     5   Extended
>>> /dev/sda5     16429    16793        2931831      82   Linux swap /
>>> Solaris
>>> /dev/sda6     16794    17158        2931831      83   Linux
>>> /dev/sda7     17159    17766        4883728+   83   Linux
>>> /dev/sda8     17767    18982        9767488+   83   Linux
>>> /dev/sda9     18983    20198        9767488+   83   Linux
>>> /dev/sda10   20199    22630      19535008+  83   Linux
>>> /dev/sda11   22631    26277      29294496     83   Linux
>>> /dev/sda12   26278    30401      33125998+  83   Linux

>>> What I show above is PERFECTLY consistent with what I was
>>> previously seeing in Dolphin -- but Dolphin is not yet seeing
>>> things this way again!  And my immediate goal is to have Dolphin
>>> see this again.

> [...]

In that case, the advice you received from another individual is correct.
The only partitions that jaunty is not mounting are the partitions of
opensuse.

So, in your jaunty's /etc/fstab, add lines like

/dev/sda2       /suse       ext3  acl,user_xattr 0 2
/dev/sda3       /suse/home  ext3  acl,user_xattr 0 2

Assuming, of course, that you have done

sudo mkdir  -p   /suse/home
on jaunty

Cheers,