[kde-linux] 20090721KL -- Dolphin And Partitions

Bruce MacArthur bmacasuru at fastmail.us
Wed Jul 22 16:06:12 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 22 July 2009 09:04, JD wrote:
> [...]
> > them to run at all, and Jaunty needs them to bring some data over
> > to the Jaunty installation.  NOTHING that is presently Jaunty-only
> > needs to be visible to openSUSE.
> >
> >> Also, in each OS, issue the command
> >> fdisk -l /dev/sd
> >> for all disks visible to the OS. Look in /dev to see how
> >> many sd devices there are. Save the outputs
> >> and label them so a reader will know which OS the command
> >> was run on.
> >
> > In openSUSE, I tried running this command, both as myself and as
> > sudo. Both times I was told "fdisk: command not found".  Obviously
> > I need to do some research -- unless this is just more of the
> > reason for my move away from openSUSE.  Please understand that I am
> > not "mad" at SUSE, but I am very perturbed about my own
> > installation )which was done by a store's personnel)!
> >
> > Also, searching for the file yielded one "fdisk" in "sbin/".  It
> > has some 86,352 bytes, and is "Read Only", NOT executable!
> >
> > In Kubuntu Jaunty my results were dramatically different, like this
> > --
> >
> > Disk /dev/sda:  250.0 GB,  250059350016 bytes
> > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> > Disk identifier: 0x000dcd1b
> >
> > Device Boot   Start         End              Blocks      ID
> > System /dev/sda1             1         131         1052226      82
> > Linux swap / Solaris
> > /dev/sda2         132       2742      20972857+   83   Linux
> > /dev/sda3       2743    16428    109932795      83   Linux
> > /dev/sda4     16429    30401    112238122+     5   Extended
> > /dev/sda5     16429    16793        2931831      82   Linux swap /
> > Solaris
> > /dev/sda6     16794    17158        2931831      83   Linux
> > /dev/sda7     17159    17766        4883728+   83   Linux
> > /dev/sda8     17767    18982        9767488+   83   Linux
> > /dev/sda9     18983    20198        9767488+   83   Linux
> > /dev/sda10   20199    22630      19535008+  83   Linux
> > /dev/sda11   22631    26277      29294496     83   Linux
> > /dev/sda12   26278    30401      33125998+  83   Linux
> >
> >> This will help identify which disks have same partitioning scheme
> >> and partition types, ..etc.
> >
> > What I show above is PERFECTLY consistent with what I was
> > previously seeing in Dolphin -- but Dolphin is not yet seeing
> > things this way again!  And my immediate goal is to have Dolphin
> > see this again.
> >
> > THANK YOU, Joe, for your time with this and for any additional
> > insights or directions you can give me -- they are MOST
> > appreciated!!!
> >
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Joe
>
> OK, So on Jaunty you only have sda . Fine.
> On Opensuse, you were not able to run fdisk because it is  not
> executable. So, do this to make it executable:
> sudo chmod 755 /sbin/fdisk
>
> and then
> for every /dev/sdX where X is a, b, c, d ...etc, run

I have followed your directions with ease -- but it has not worked!  In
spite of the change of permissions to 755, the search utility still
shows it to be "Read-Only"!  I think that this is related to a VERY
faulty installation; it is NOT simply an openSUSE problem.

> So, that aside, one thing is still not clear:
> is your meachine a dual boot machine? or you simply have
> two machines? I was proceeding on the premise that you
> have a dual boot machine, which might not be what you have.

This is one computer only.  It has a single hard disk drive only.  And,
yes, it IS dual-boot.  Your understanding both was and is correct.

--
布鲁&#26031  麦克阿&#29791
Bruce   Mac Arthur
     bmacasuru at fastmail.us