[kde-linux] D-Bus does not work with KDE 4.2 or is it something else?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jan 29 00:44:12 UTC 2009

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 29 January 2009, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> At least this is the best guess of my problem.
>>
>> My KDE TRUNK installation was having some delay issues.  It was
>> suggested that the problem was D-Bus.  So, I updated HAL and D-Bus using
>> the standard LFS installation.  Yes, that fixed the problem.
>>
>> But then I also installed the new 4.2 BRANCH from SVN and I find that I
>> have the same problem which is that Konqueror takes a very long time to
>> start and right clicking on an icon while using KFM (which is really
>> Dolphin Part now) can take over a minute to respond.
>>
>> I have added the KDEDIR for the 4.2 BRANCH to my:
>>
>> 	/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf
>>
>> file:
>>
>>    <servicedir>/usr/KDE-4/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir>
>>
>> Is there anything else that is needed?
>
> Not that I am aware of.
> Is D-Bus properly started at session startup?

Yes, KSysGuard shows:

	dbus-launch
	/usr/bin-dbusdaemon

>> I can't seem to find any differences between the stuff for KDE TRUNK and
>> KDE 4.2 BRANCH except that the directories:
>>
>> 	$KDEDIR/share/dbus-1/services
>> 	$KDEDIR/share/dbus-1/interfaces
>>
>> have more files in TRUNK than the newly installed 4.2 BRANCH.
>
> Any file in particular that you suspect might make a difference?

Well I decided to go to something reproducible and deleted

	$KDEDIR/share/dbus-1/

and reinstalled.  After starting the KDE session, I have in services:

org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control.service
org.freedesktop.xesam.searcher.service
org.kde.knotify.service
org.kde.krunner.service
org.kde.lancelot.service
vandenoever.strigi.service

Does anybody know if this is correct?

>> Linux used to be simple.  I'm not certain that I really need all of
>> these new features that are hard to set up
>
> Well, it still is.

Lets leave that as an open question. :-)

> Weird installations into a lot of different prefixes are
> more complex, but very uncommon.

I could have installed them in "/opt" and it would have been the same --
I would have had to set all the same stuff except that the actual paths
would have been different.

--
JRT