[kde-linux] D-Bus does not work with KDE 4.2 or is it something else?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Jan 28 23:10:58 UTC 2009

On Thursday 29 January 2009, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> At least this is the best guess of my problem.
>
> My KDE TRUNK installation was having some delay issues.  It was
> suggested that the problem was D-Bus.  So, I updated HAL and D-Bus using
> the standard LFS installation.  Yes, that fixed the problem.
>
> But then I also installed the new 4.2 BRANCH from SVN and I find that I
> have the same problem which is that Konqueror takes a very long time to
> start and right clicking on an icon while using KFM (which is really
> Dolphin Part now) can take over a minute to respond.
>
> I have added the KDEDIR for the 4.2 BRANCH to my:
>
> 	/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf
>
> file:
>
>    <servicedir>/usr/KDE-4/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir>
>
> Is there anything else that is needed?

Not that I am aware of.
Is D-Bus properly started at session startup?

> I can't seem to find any differences between the stuff for KDE TRUNK and
> KDE 4.2 BRANCH except that the directories:
>
> 	$KDEDIR/share/dbus-1/services
> 	$KDEDIR/share/dbus-1/interfaces
>
> have more files in TRUNK than the newly installed 4.2 BRANCH.

Any file in particular that you suspect might make a difference?

> Linux used to be simple.  I'm not certain that I really need all of
> these new features that are hard to set up

Well, it still is. Weird installations into a lot of different prefixes are
more complex, but very uncommon.
I am not aware of any distribution with either source or binary packages where
the base setup got any more difficult.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring