[kde-linux] D-Bus does not work with KDE 4.2 or is it something else?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jan 28 23:02:55 UTC 2009

At least this is the best guess of my problem.

My KDE TRUNK installation was having some delay issues.  It was
suggested that the problem was D-Bus.  So, I updated HAL and D-Bus using
the standard LFS installation.  Yes, that fixed the problem.

But then I also installed the new 4.2 BRANCH from SVN and I find that I
have the same problem which is that Konqueror takes a very long time to
start and right clicking on an icon while using KFM (which is really
Dolphin Part now) can take over a minute to respond.

I have added the KDEDIR for the 4.2 BRANCH to my:

	/etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf

file:

   <servicedir>/usr/KDE-4/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir>

Is there anything else that is needed?

I can't seem to find any differences between the stuff for KDE TRUNK and
KDE 4.2 BRANCH except that the directories:

	$KDEDIR/share/dbus-1/services
	$KDEDIR/share/dbus-1/interfaces

have more files in TRUNK than the newly installed 4.2 BRANCH.

Or, perhaps there is some other problem.

Linux used to be simple.  I'm not certain that I really need all of
these new features that are hard to set up

--
JRT