[kde-linux] Knetworkmanager doesn't connect with fixed ip auto conexion

christophe christophe.dr at free.fr
Mon Feb 23 20:47:55 UTC 2009

Le Saturday 14 February 2009 12:06:15 Kevin Krammer, vous avez écrit :

> [...] The newest version of NetworkManager, 0.7, can handle statically
configured
> networks as well, AFAIK.[...]
> > Kevin

OK, sorry for my late reply due to .... real life .
I finally found the time to reopen this opensuse 11.1
After a long research i found that NetworkManager is supposed to connect as
soon as possible to any network. And, at login, knetworkmanager seems to be
satisfied when a network is already connected.
So i took a look at NetworkManager and found intersting stuff
in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ .
Here, you can find a config file named "System eth0" containing :

[ipv4]
method=auto

It means that networkmanager is doing some auto adressing (dhcp) for eth0 when
i want some manual. So, i searched the web for some other examples and i
finally filled it up with this :
[ipv4]
method=manual
adress1=192.168.x.y;255.255.255.0;192.168.x.1
dns=123.123.123.123
dns-search=domain.com

And now i have knetworkmanager and the fixed ip i wanted. And what is strange
is that knetworkmanager guesses that the connection configured by
Networkmanager corresponds to the one configured in knetworkmanager . Weird.

Anyway, first it is not what is expected.
And second, if i connect somewhere else than home with a wired connection,
networkmanager will not connect automatically with dhcp.

Thanks for your answers.

--
christophe