[kde-linux] Knetworkmanager doesn't connect with fixed ip auto conexion

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 14 12:15:45 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 22:21:34 christophe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm runing opensuse 11.1 / kde 3.5
>
> i have selected networkmanager in YaST2 (opensuse configuration tool) for
> my internet connexion because i think knetworkmanager is easy to use when i
> want to connect my laptop to a wifi AP when i'm away from home.
>
> But when i'm home, i need to connect to my home ethernet network with a fix
> ip for some good reason like file synchronization via unison and tv via ip
> . Therefore i used knetworkmanager to configure a connexion on my ethernet
> card . I entered all parameters on the knetwork window : fixed ip, network
> mask, DNS, default gateway, connexion name and, of course, i checked the
> automatic connexion box .
> Then, i expect knetworkmanager to connect automatically with the fixed IP
> parameters i entered at each login when my ethernet cable is plugged into
> my laptop ethernet card at home . On opensuse 10.3, it works correctly, but
> with opensuse 11.1, it does not. Surprisingly, on opensuse 11.1, it
> connects with a dhcp IP, so without the fixed IP i parametered !!! (like
> 192.168.0.50 instead of 192.168.0.8)
>
> I have run kdcop to find some function that i could call with a script at
> startup, something like ' "dcop knetworkmanager connect "eth0" '  . But i
> found nothing like that.
>
> I need this fixed IP, as written above.
> I am quite disappointed by this unexpected bug/behaviour.
> Maybe, there is a simple workaround ?
> Is there some configuration feature that i missed to perform ?
> How can i correct this annoying bug ?
> Thanks for your help .

Since I want to use this netbook on other networks I really want to use
NetworkManager and dhcp.  However, like you, I want to use static at home.  My
workaround is to use dhcp, but tell the router to reserve my preferred address
for this netbook.  It seems to work perfectly.  I get the same address every
time.