[kde-linux] KDE 4.2 ROCKS !

Esben Mose Hansen kde at mosehansen.dk
Mon Feb 16 19:42:51 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 February 2009 15:19:15 Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> I've been agonising over KDE 4.* ever since I finally made it work for me.
>   Upgrading to Kubuntu 8.10 last October was a complete disaster - I had no
> desktop at all until I reinstalled Ubuntu with the awful little
> ginger-haired earth spirit up front, thus losing all the benefits of a
> direct upgrade .  I finally got KDE 4.1 going by buying and installing a
> graphics card, which I'd managed quite nicely without.

In case you are interested:

As for the gfx card, that is just plain weird. Without effects, there really
should be no difference between KDE3 and 4 in that regard. Perhaps it is the
X.org upgrade? But I suppose you no longer have the old card.

Obviously, I cannot speak about the Kubuntu upgrade experience. I made that
upgrade without any troubles that I can recall.

Now, to more interesting things: Kaffeine works flawlessly here, as far as I can
see... I only play the occasional small clip from the net with it, but it
seems to work. Are you saying it doesn't work at all?

Digikam should still be the same as in KDE3. The port has not been finished
yet, as far as I know. Here, on Kubuntu 8.10. (Of course, Fedora might be
shippinh beta versions, but if they do, surely the stable versions are
available, too) I am not sure what you mean by "in the way" --- in the little
I use digikam I have not noticed anything odd, The USB autodetect when
plugging in the camera didn't work for me last time, though.

About the weather, I simply don't know. What information are you missing? As
for multiple stations, can't you just use multiple widgets?

Finally, as for looks, I am sure I saw a blog post that made KDE 4 look
virtually identical to KDE 3, if that is your thing. It didn't sound hard, but
I can't find it now. Basically, as far as I recall, you set the main
containment to folderview, and selected one of the classic themes, and
deactivated desktop effects, added the classic menu. And perhaps one or two
more things.

--
Kind regards, Esben