[kde-linux] KDE 4.2 ROCKS !

Rosalind Mitchell rcmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 14:19:15 UTC 2009

On Friday 13 February 2009 19:11:59 Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> Just had to throw out my thoughts - KDE 4.2 is awesome !!
> Hats off to the KDE dev team and everyone who made 4.2 a reality.

I've been agonising over KDE 4.* ever since I finally made it work for me.
Upgrading to Kubuntu 8.10 last October was a complete disaster - I had no
desktop at all until I reinstalled Ubuntu with the awful little ginger-haired
earth spirit up front, thus losing all the benefits of a direct upgrade .  I
finally got KDE 4.1 going by buying and installing a graphics card, which I'd
managed quite nicely without.  The I discovered that KDE 4.1 was truly awful.
Half the stuff didn't work, a whole load of other stuff was missing, it kept
crashing, and just looking at it gave me a headache.  This was, I thought, a
terrific shame because KDE 3.5.10 was (is) about as good as a front-end can
get.  Upgrading to KDE 4.2 made it look better but still had me screaming and
throwing crockery at the wall.  I gave up and made friends with the ginger-
haired earth spirit.  I still didn't care for what it looked like even after
changing the colour scheme and wallpaper, and I have never learned to love
Evolution, but it did.

And then I gave up on Ubuntu altogether in favour of Fedora.  Fedora looks
pretty great even with the earth spirit, and if I used Thunderbird/Lightning
for my personal organiser stuff it was bearable.  But still I missed things
like Kate and Kmail.  So inspired by Kevin's post I put KDE 4.2 on Fedora.

It works fine, and it looks quite good (but not as clean and simple as 3.5).  I
can live with it, and maybe it will get better.  But I have finally found a use
for my spare drive: I keep a copy of Kubuntu 8.04 on it and I use it for all
the babies that have been thrown out with the bathwater and the things that
don't work as well in the upgraded version: the excellent Kooka above all, and
watching films with Kaffeine (I have no TV), and organising my digital photos
with a Digikam that works and doesn't get in the way of everything else.  And
little but useful things like the lovely kweather - what ever happened to
that?  The LCD Weather Plasmoid might look snazzier but doesn't give a
fraction of the information and I can't get it to give me information from
more than one station.

I suppose we are all supposed to worship at the altar of Progress, and that
seems to mean that if we have something that works really, really well like
KDE 3.5.10, it has to be torn down and replaced with something glitzier.  But
then I thought we'd all learned that didn't work thirty years ago,

Rosie