[kde-linux] my thought about kde 4.2

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Feb 6 21:24:10 UTC 2009

_sc_ wrote:
> On Thursday 05 February 2009 4:14 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> Dolphin is a wolf in sheep's clothing.  It will take you a long time to
>> discover all the things it can do, so why not take a shortcut and read
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/File_Management
>
> there's probably an obvious answer to this, but the thing i
> dislike the most about dolphin is the way it hides "hidden"
> files -- this trait reminds me of gnome -- anyway, i saw
> nothing about hidden files in the file management tutorial
> quoted above
>
> i should probably be specific here:  i am talking about
> files and folders for which the first character of the name
> is a dot -- perhaps the dolphin community calls them
> something other than "hidden" and i've simply been searching
> on the wrong keyword
>
> i've searched every menu item, poked everywhere i can find
> to poke, and i can't find it
>
> so -- what's the secret?

No secret.  Dolphin in KDE4 handles hidden files the same way that
Konquerer does in KDE3.  The option is saved either globally or folder
by folder depending on which you have selected.  The only difference is
that the place to set the option has been moved to the KCM dialog:

   Settings -> Configure Dolphin : View Mode : General : View Properties

If you want hidden files to be shown globally, select:

   Use common view properties for all folders

Changes you make while in that mode become the global defaults, just
like in KDE3.  You can then switch back and still make changes folder by
folder.

--
JRT