[kde-linux] kmail - turn off html?

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 22:31:14 UTC 2009

Duncan wrote:
> Anne Wilson posted on Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:58:21 +0000 as excerpted:
>

>> Basically, if  you want to maximise your chances of getting help, you
>> will respect the wishes of the community.  And please do not assume that
>> since you know of no good reason for a decision, that means that no such
>> reason exists.
>>

> Well stated.
>
> Sure, one can format their messages as they wish (within the RFCs, of
> course), but just as they can post as they wish, the reader has an
> absolute right (by that I mean, no explanation or reason need be given)
> to killfile as they wish -- it's their time and their volunteering to
> read and answer, after all.  The two balance each other out.
>
> In most cases, someone original-posting here has a question they want
> read and considered by the greatest number of people with potential
> answers -- or they'd not be posting here in the first place.  It's simply
> counter-productive to choose a format that is known to be offensive to
> many in that target audience, since by definition, due to the "absolute
> right to killfile" as described above, that will reduce the exposure,
> very possibly causing the message to be unread or simply unreplied due to
> the hassle involved, by the very person that would have otherwise had the
> answer to fix the problem!
>
> Remember, people volunteering their time and energy to read and respond
> to messages here have a whole /world/ and a whole /Internet/ of other
> things they could be doing, instead.  Given that, intentionally reducing
> their motivation for such a response, or the priority thereof, would seem
> to be counter-productive to the whole reason one bothered to post here in
> the first place.

This is very true on the Gentoo mailing list.  Most all the people that
have been around a long time and have the answer, will not even see a
HTML message.  They have their email programs set up in a way that they
don't get anything but text only messages.  If you post HTML there, they
will tell you to send text only.  If you don't take the advice, you
won't get many helpful replies.  You are basically shooting yourself in
the foot.

Dale

:-)  :-)