[kde-linux] kmail - turn off html?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Dec 31 22:23:38 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson posted on Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:58:21 +0000 as excerpted:

> Basically, if  you want to maximise your chances of getting help, you
> will respect the wishes of the community.  And please do not assume that
> since you know of no good reason for a decision, that means that no such
> reason exists.

Well stated.

Sure, one can format their messages as they wish (within the RFCs, of
course), but just as they can post as they wish, the reader has an
absolute right (by that I mean, no explanation or reason need be given)
to killfile as they wish -- it's their time and their volunteering to
read and answer, after all.  The two balance each other out.

In most cases, someone original-posting here has a question they want
read and considered by the greatest number of people with potential
answers -- or they'd not be posting here in the first place.  It's simply
counter-productive to choose a format that is known to be offensive to
many in that target audience, since by definition, due to the "absolute
right to killfile" as described above, that will reduce the exposure,
very possibly causing the message to be unread or simply unreplied due to
the hassle involved, by the very person that would have otherwise had the
answer to fix the problem!

Remember, people volunteering their time and energy to read and respond
to messages here have a whole /world/ and a whole /Internet/ of other
things they could be doing, instead.  Given that, intentionally reducing
their motivation for such a response, or the priority thereof, would seem
to be counter-productive to the whole reason one bothered to post here in
the first place.