[kde-linux] In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops

Tony Alfrey tonyalfrey at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 25 00:06:48 UTC 2009

Stan Goodman wrote:
<snip>

> It's a mistake to think, as many do, that the problem is limited to what
> happened in KDE4; the management culture made KDE4 inevitable. The
> developers must not be permitted to determine policy, because their
> interests have nothing to do with the needs of the market. I am an
> engineer by training and background, and I know for a fact that engineers
> in charge are a disaster waiting to happen. They need people to assess
> the market, and guide the development group accordingly.

and herein lies the potential problem with open-source software.
The user has become dependent on an open source product (in this case a
window manager) and the user, having not paid for the product, has no
recourse to complain when someone else goes off on a tangent and creates
a "can of worms".  You were happy with  kde3 and invested your time and
energy in working with it, only to have others make a decision over
which you have no market control.  You can bet this wouldn't happen on a
Mac (which I submit is essentially Free BSD with a window manager and a
whole lot of integrated apps and libraries that just work).  It is why I
still use SuSE 9.3 (gasps of horror from the masses) until I see that
the chaos over kde4 dissipates.

--
Tony Alfrey
tonyalfrey at earthlink.net