[kde-linux] In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Dec 25 06:40:22 UTC 2009

Tony Alfrey posted on Thu, 24 Dec 2009 16:06:48 -0800 as excerpted:

> and herein lies the potential problem with open-source software. The
> user has become dependent on an open source product (in this case a
> window manager) and the user, having not paid for the product, has no
> recourse to complain when someone else goes off on a tangent and creates
> a "can of worms".  You were happy with  kde3 and invested your time and
> energy in working with it, only to have others make a decision over
> which you have no market control.

To be fair, there's a bit more user lead market control here than with
the proprietary "market leader" many of us left at some point... to a
point, at least.  It's not like they listened to the peon users any more
than kde does... one reason I'm not with them any more.

But what a lot of people don't get, is that if we didn't still believe in
kde, we'd have simply gone... as many apparently are.  It's a WHOLE lot
less trouble to silently switch to something else, than it is to come
here and be told we're stupid or whatever because we actually care enough
about kde to make our wishes and needs known.

I know /I/ wouldn't have spent 100 hours plus on the switch if I didn't
ultimately believe in kde.  And yes, I expect kde4 will eventually turn
into something as well liked and well used as kde3.  It's just taking
some time...  Unfortunately, the support for kde3 dropped before kde4 was
ready to replace it, and people who hadn't the time to spend that I did,
really had little choice but to go elsewhere, at least temporarily.

But I really /do/ believe kde4 will come of age... right about kde 4.5,
and that by 4.6 and 4.7, it's going to be pulling ahead.