[kde-linux] In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Thu Dec 24 22:51:59 UTC 2009

At 00:03:33 on Friday Friday 25 December 2009, Duncan
<1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> Stan Goodman posted on Thu, 24 Dec 2009 11:10:01 +0200 as excerpted:
> > "Several people" is inaccurate. It is a stampede. For myself, I have
> > tried several times to adapt myself to KDE4, in order to convince
> > myself that it is not mere stubbornness that makes me resent it. It
> > won't work.
>
> ... And I adapted, but it took me well over a hundred hours of work,
> scripting up solutions for broken stuff, etc, before I was there.  And
> that 100 hours doesn't even include the "normal and expected" switching
> time...
>
> There's a lot of users that simply don't have that time, or prefer to
> spend it elsewhere if they do, and will therefore simply dump kde when
> they no longer have kde3 available, for something that actually works
> for them, unlike kde4, which remains broken in a number of ways, at
> least as shipped (thus my hacking...), unfortunately.

Quite right. KDE has shot itself in the foot, led, apparently by the
arrogant Sven person, who has said in clear language that his vision
of "The Future" is the right prescription for everyone, and (xince he
works without pay) you will damned well take what you get. He ought to be
ridden out of town on a rail. KDE needs a management consultant to iron
out how to run their enterprise. The fact that it isn't a commercial
operation doesn't mean that they don't need management training.

It's a mistake to think, as many do, that the problem is limited to what
happened in KDE4; the management culture made KDE4 inevitable. The
developers must not be permitted to determine policy, because their
interests have nothing to do with the needs of the market. I am an
engineer by training and background, and I know for a fact that engineers
in charge are a disaster waiting to happen. They need people to assess
the market, and guide the development group accordingly.

What are you doing playing with your computer on Christmas Eve? Santa
doesn't come to your neighborhood?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on