[kde-linux] In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 22:58:16 UTC 2009

Stan Goodman wrote:
> At 23:52:15 on Wednesday Wednesday 23 December 2009, Dale
> <rdalek1967 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I think they should have looked at it this was as well.  If you own a
>> business that depends on a stable KDE desktop, where are you now?  KDE
>> 3 is not supported by KDE anymore.  KDE 4 is still a work in progress
>> and for me at least, isn't usable yet.  So, if I had a business and
>> needed a dependable desktop, I'd be looking for something else, not
>> KDE.
>>
>> I'm a Gentoo user and since KDE dropped KDE 3, they are dropping it as
>> well.  It is being moved over to layman but it is no longer supported
>> by the Gentoo devs.  Some packages are already being removed because of
>> a security bug or they no longer compile.
>>
>> So the choices are, keep a unsupported KDE 3 around or a somewhat
>> unusable KDE 4 or switch to something else.  This makes Gnome, Fluxbox
>> and some other DMs start to look better when faces with those options.
>> Nothing is perfect but I am sure this could have been handled a lot
>> better.  It's not like KDE was born yesterday.
>>
>> Dale
>>

> Interesting to speculate on what the major distros will do in the short
> term, and  what Novell will do about its enterprise product. As for KDE,
> this may be a wakeup call with even a wider meaning -- they anyway need
> to think about the need to ride herd (gently, of course) on the
> activities (Uh! that word) of developers who think anything they turn out
> is acceptable.

I have mentioned this before.  If they had continued support for KDE
3.5, even just bug and security fixes, until say mid 2010, things would
be so different.  I like KDE and even hope to use KDE 4 but this
experience has left a bad taste in my mouth.  I think KDE 4 will be
pretty usable before to long.  I'm thinking February or something like
that.  Some things may not be ready until later on but right now, we
need a larger transition window where both are maintained.

All this being said, KDE most likely hasn't learned a thing.  I won't be
surprised if they do KDE 5 the exact same way.  Let's hope not tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)