[kde-linux] In KDE4, to set a different background for each of the multiple desktops

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Dec 24 08:02:36 UTC 2009

It would appear that on Dec 23, Dale did say:

> Felix Miata wrote:
> >> LOL It is useless to you because you have not yet seen the light.
> > As many won't, since it's hidden in an unintuitive maze.

-snipped. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .stuff

> I sincerely hope KDE does a better job with KDE 5.  I have read where
> several people have switched away form KDE because of the way this was
> done.  KDE 3 was dropped before KDE 4 was even off to a good stable
> start.  At least that is my opinion anyway.  For me, KDE 4 is still not
> ready.

Yeah, I used to be a die hard kde fan who would use no other desktop. Then
along came kde4 and it seamed to me they threw away every thing I liked
about kde. I could understand that kde3 was based on mature code with too
many patches and maybe did need a complete rewrite. But I didn't understand
why it seemed that the new code couldn't have allowed users to interface
with it in familiar ways. I was also frustrated by the fact that much of
kde3 could be configured without even touching the durned rodent.
(I'm a keyboard man who has difficulty making the mouse point at the right
spot long enough to click on the right thing) and it felt like the
interface for any and all configuration tools was now all about making it
impossible to configure anything without the mouse...

Then I did see the light. Literally  I installed EnLIGHTenment. With most linux
distros I still start with the kde version. But that's mostly because I'm
used to some of the kde applications. Then the next thing I do is add
both e16, & e17...

To be fair, the E17 devs aren't all that friendly towards the concept of
using the keyboard for configuration chores either. But it's still less
work to get things running my way. There are fewer "gee whiz lets automate
everything he doesn't want to do, and hide everything he does" things for me
to have to figure out. So I don't really see me coming back to kde any time
soon. But given how fond the e17 devs are of mouse based tools, it's
possible that by the time there is a kde5, I might be ready for another
change, and if kde5 lets me work the way I think, and lets me use my
keyboard as the primary input device (especially for configuration chores).
I might even switch back. Time will tell.