[kde-linux] Network Settings

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 23 04:17:24 UTC 2009

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2009-12-22, James Tyrer wrote:
>
>> $ sudo /sbin/ldconfig -v |grep libsolid.so
>>    ibsolid.so.4 -> libsolid.so.4.3.0
>>
>> So, solid appears to be installed.
>
> It is part of kdelibs, so if you are using any KDE application it had to be
> there :)
>
>> $ sudo /sbin/pidof NetworkManager
>> 1050
>>
>> The NetworkManager appears to be running, but to make sure:
>>
>> $ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/NetworkManager status
>> NetworkManager (pid  1050) is running...
>>
>> But, it doesn't work.
>
> Do you have nm-system-settings running?

No, it isn't running.  I checked and it is installed in /usr/sbin/.
There is no documentation for that executable, so I presume that the
user isn't supposed to run it.

> I am not an expert on NetworkManager, but I think this is its utility to get
> system level network configuration.

So, if it needs it, the daemon would run it?

Further investigation: nm-tool finds my eth0 NIC card but reports an error:

** (process:1585): WARNING **: error: failed to read connections from
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings:
     The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings was not
provided by any .service files

** (process:1585): WARNING **: error: failed to read connections from
org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings:
     Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

this appears to indicate that I am missing a *.service file

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch