[kde-linux] Network Settings

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Dec 24 13:52:09 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, 2009-12-23, James Tyrer wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 2009-12-22, James Tyrer wrote:
> >> $ sudo /sbin/ldconfig -v |grep libsolid.so
> >>    ibsolid.so.4 -> libsolid.so.4.3.0
> >>
> >> So, solid appears to be installed.
> >
> > It is part of kdelibs, so if you are using any KDE application it had to
> > be there :)
> >
> >> $ sudo /sbin/pidof NetworkManager
> >> 1050
> >>
> >> The NetworkManager appears to be running, but to make sure:
> >>
> >> $ sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/NetworkManager status
> >> NetworkManager (pid  1050) is running...
> >>
> >> But, it doesn't work.
> >
> > Do you have nm-system-settings running?
>
> No, it isn't running.  I checked and it is installed in /usr/sbin/.
> There is no documentation for that executable, so I presume that the
> user isn't supposed to run it.

Right, it is running as root here.
Not sure what started it, maybe the networkmanager start script.

> > I am not an expert on NetworkManager, but I think this is its utility to
> > get system level network configuration.
>
> So, if it needs it, the daemon would run it?

No idea, sorry.

> Further investigation: nm-tool finds my eth0 NIC card but reports an error:
>
> ** (process:1585): WARNING **: error: failed to read connections from
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings:
>      The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings was not
> provided by any .service files
>
> ** (process:1585): WARNING **: error: failed to read connections from
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings:
>      Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
>
> this appears to indicate that I am missing a *.service file

The first error seems to indicate that there is no user level settings agent
running, e.g. knetworkmanager.
Thus networkmanager attempts to check the system level settings (I assume
that's the nm-system-settings tool) but it seems to fail with an unknown
error.

You could try starting it manually as root and see if it writes anything to
the console.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring