[kde-linux] upgrading to KDE 4.2.4

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Dec 4 21:00:02 UTC 2009

Kevin Krammer posted on Fri, 04 Dec 2009 21:28:06 +0100 as excerpted:

> Actually there is a freedesktop.org specification for that, i.e.
> $HOME/.config and $HOME/.local/share (both overridable through
> environment variables, $XDG_CONFIG_HOME and $XDG_DATA_HOME
> respectively).
>
> KDE applications usually don't use paths at all, they do lookups based
> on "resource types", e.g. "data", "config". It should be possible to
> patch KDE libs to make "data" end up in $HOME/.local/share/appname/ and
> "config" in $HOME/.config/appnamerc

Hmm...  I knew about ~/.config/ (and wished it was config, not hidden,
and all the legacy .* config stuff would move to it!, that's more or less
what I've done using symlinks, here), but not about ~/.local/share/.

Thanks.  That makes quite some sense, and would indeed solve the
problem.  Unfortunately, it'll be awhile before all those .* files/dirs
in my homedir are gone and data's no longer intermingled with config, but
it appears we're headed that way, at least.  Maybe in another half decade
or so...