[kde-linux] upgrading to KDE 4.2.4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Dec 4 20:28:06 UTC 2009

On Friday, 2009-12-04, Duncan wrote:

> FWIW I too have wished for that, and have it setup that way here,
> manually.  But it'd be very nice if /someone/, and that someone might as
> well be kde, took the lead, and started doing the same with the user's
> config and data in /home, by default.

Actually there is a freedesktop.org specification for that, i.e. $HOME/.config
and $HOME/.local/share (both overridable through environment variables,
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME and $XDG_DATA_HOME respectively).

KDE applications usually don't use paths at all, they do lookups based on
"resource types", e.g. "data", "config".
It should be possible to patch KDE libs to make "data" end up in
$HOME/.local/share/appname/ and "config" in $HOME/.config/appnamerc

Or maybe just for new user accounts to make sure any custom backup solution is
still working.
Or creating symlinks from old locations to new ones.

IMHO that should be a pretty simple modification as long as automatic
relocating of files is not necessary.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring