[kde-linux] upgrading to KDE 4.2.4

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Dec 4 21:19:44 UTC 2009

On Friday, 2009-12-04, Duncan wrote:
> Kevin Krammer posted on Fri, 04 Dec 2009 21:28:06 +0100 as excerpted:
> > Actually there is a freedesktop.org specification for that, i.e.
> > $HOME/.config and $HOME/.local/share (both overridable through
> > environment variables, $XDG_CONFIG_HOME and $XDG_DATA_HOME
> > respectively).
> >
> > KDE applications usually don't use paths at all, they do lookups based
> > on "resource types", e.g. "data", "config". It should be possible to
> > patch KDE libs to make "data" end up in $HOME/.local/share/appname/ and
> > "config" in $HOME/.config/appnamerc
>
> Hmm...  I knew about ~/.config/ (and wished it was config, not hidden,
> and all the legacy .* config stuff would move to it!, that's more or less
> what I've done using symlinks, here), but not about ~/.local/share/.

The spec [1] also specifies a local cache dir.
My guess on the .config vs. config is that $HOME is a likely location for
files the user cares about directly, e.g. documents and that it makes
therefore sense to put "indirect/internal" [2] data and config somewhere not
as visible.

> Thanks.  That makes quite some sense, and would indeed solve the
> problem.  Unfortunately, it'll be awhile before all those .* files/dirs
> in my homedir are gone and data's no longer intermingled with config, but
> it appears we're headed that way, at least.  Maybe in another half decade
> or so...

Main problem is data migration/moving. As I wrote before I think it could be
made the default for new user accounts.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
[2] "indirect/internal" in the sense that the file itself is just one possible
representation of the actual data, basically an implementation detail.
E.g. like a single mail file in a maildir folder: one usually doesn't work
with this file directly but through a mail user agent.

KDE user support, developer mentoring