[kde-linux] okular weirdness

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 26 17:11:17 UTC 2009

Duncan posted on Wed, 26 Aug 2009 07:40:44 +0000 as excerpted:

> Meanwhile, I believe it's safe to say it's either a setting in okular,
> or some weirdness in your poppler.  I suspect some okular setting, but
> as you say you tried that and I haven't yet...

I came up with one possible okular setting to check.  Under Settings,
Configure Backends, here, I just have Ghostscript,  and it has only a
single setting, a Use platform fonts checkbox.

If I'm not mistaken, if that's checked, it'll use fonts on your computer
instead of fonts as they may have shipped in the PDF.  If it's unchecked,
it should use fonts from the PDF, which may be different than those on
the computer.

What I'm wondering is if it's using different fonts on the different
computers, and using a really fat one, maybe, on the wide display
computer.  Assuming you're using the same backend there, try setting all
computers to unchecked, so they should use what's in the PDF regardless
of what's on the individual computer.  In theory, it should then look the
same, because it's using the fonts in the PDF itself.

If that fixes it and it looks different when that checkbox is checked on
all your machines, maybe you have a different font on one of the boxes
that's not on the others, or are missing a font on the one box that IS on
the others.  It could also be that you had the box checked in the one
case and unchecked in the other.

Otherwise... I don't know.  Just to be sure, check this:

In systemsettings, look and feel, appearance, fonts, at the bottom,
there's a checkbox, Force fonts DPI.  You may wish to try that.
Depending on the setting (96 or 120 DPI), it'll make your fonts larger or
smaller, but they should stay the same aspect ratio if your computer is
set for square pixels as when it's disabled.  If for some reason your
computer (well, X) thinks your pixels aren't square, it may use a strange
aspect ratio, making your fonts all either tall and thin or short and
fat.  But, you said it was only okular, and that would affect at least
all of kde, so I doubt that's it.  I /still/ think it has to be either an
okular issue or perhaps a backend issue, but I don't know enough about
pdf to know where to look or what to poke at to try to fix it.